Monday, February 9, 2015

diy for valentine's day.

I spent the afternoon working on Valentine's Day gifts for my kiddo's classmates and teachers. Amidst the paper, fun edging scissors, and double-sided tape I found myself wondering how I got to this new stage of life. I am not a very crafty person and anything that requires artistic talent is just right beyond my grasp, but the art of mothering has me channeling my inner DIY lately.

I've been on a candy-free kick, mostly because I hate it when my kid gets too loaded up on sugar and I don't want to pass that on to anyone else. My anti-goodie bag approach went over well at N's birthday party, so I'm doing something similar for Valentine's Day -- for the kids, that is. The teachers deserve all the chocolate they can get!

Candy-Free Valentine's Day For Kids: 

I want to give credit where credit is due: I came across this adorable idea for Valentine's 'cards' with crayons instead of candy. Albeit simpler and probably not as cute, I made these for N's class. I might have spent a bit more than I would have on out of the pack Valentine's, but I'm okay with that (I made up for it with the teacher gifts!).

What You'll Need:
  • Crayons - the idea that I came across used loose crayons, but I opted for 8-pack boxes with classic colors (approximately $1 a box) 
  • Red card stock paper 
  • Double sided tape 
  • Heart stickers 
  • Edging stickers 
What You'll Do: 
  • Figure out what message you want on the Valentine's (I went with "Color Your Heart Out!"), type and format so that you can print it out 
  • Cut out the "card" for each box of crayons with edging stickers
  • Put the card onto the crayon box with the double-sided tape
  • Finish by adding in a heart sticker
Voila! So easy!


SUPER Inexpensive Valentine's for Teachers 

Again, giving credit where it's due, I found this adorable idea here. I'm all for a good pun and being thrifty -- and this is both! I was able to make these for about $2.70 per teacher, which is awesome! 

What You'll Need: 
  • 1 box of Betty Crocker brownie mix, per teacher (found on sale at Wal-Mart for $1 each) 
  • 1 Betty Crocker spatula, per teacher ($1; available at Dollar Tree)
  • Valentine gift bags (found these for 2 for $1 at Dollar Tree) 
  • 1 package of Valentine's tissue paper ($1 at Dollar Tree) 
  • Red card stock
  • Plain white printer paper
  • Twine
  • Regular tape
  • Double-sided tape
  • Glue gun 
  • Scissors
  • Edging Scissors 
  • Paper guillotine
  • Hole punch
What You'll Do: 
  • Use a few dots from the glue gun to attach the spatula to the brownie mix -- this gift capitalizes on the red on the product/packaging and the brownie pun, so I wanted to make sure to highlight this
  • Type up a quick message to your teacher - I went with "I'm aiming for brownie points!" before jumping into saying Happy V-Day. I also found a cute graphic online to use to tie into the message. Print these out on normal printer paper 
  • Use your paper guillotine (or scissors if you can cut a straight line, unlike me) to trim down your messages to a standard size 
  • Cut down the red card stock to frame out your message on the white computer paper
  • Attach the message on the white computer paper to the red card stock by using double-sided tape
  • Punch a hole into the top center of each card 
  • Use the twine to tie the card to the gift bag and use regular tape to secure the ends of the twine to the bag 
  • Put some decorative tissue paper in to make everything even cuter
Ta-da! You have a really cute teacher gift that won't break the bank!


Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment