Monday, October 28, 2013

boys are gross.

I'm all for letting my son build a robust immunity. I don't slather him in antibacterial every time we turn the corner, I don't obsessively wipe down shopping carts, and if he plays in some dirt, well that's just fine. We stay on our vaccination schedules, don't get antibiotics unless they can actually help, and Nate eats his fair share of yogurt with an extra probiotic mix-in. But there are some things that even the most level-headed, "I'm not going to be that germaphobe" parent can't hear or stomach.

Yesterday's moment: a splash, followed by "Mommy, my feet are in the potty!" Had he flushed? No. Did I have to clean poop from between his toes? Yes. I normally have a good handle on dealing with whatever these situations throw at me, but I was at a loss yesterday.

Today's moment: playing outside, Nathan looked at me and said "Mommy, watch this!" and then licked the side of a trash can. He thought it was so funny that he did it again later. I'm crossing my fingers that he doesn't get sick from that.

So in those moments of child-induced disgust, what do you do? Certainly not react in any way that draws attention, interest, or makes the kid think that he's being funny or entertaining. Give him an inch and he won't just take a mile. It will be a lifelong marathon of poop squishing, trashcan licking fun.

This little guy's mind works in mysterious ways. Just while I was typing this, he went to get a drink from the refrigerator, got distracted, and started watching Scooby Doo like this...




No comments:

Post a Comment