Saturday, June 27, 2015

tooth fairy.

Four days ago, Nate walked up to me and said, "hey Mom! Watch this!" and proceeded to wiggle one of his teeth with his tongue. A ridiculous wave of nausea came over me. Teeth freak me out. I have nightmares about losing teeth, breaking teeth. I think I read a long time ago that dreams about teeth have to do with issues with control. No big shockers there.

But yes, teeth make me sick to my stomach. And I have a little boy -- so I can never, ever let him know. He would go out of his way just to get a reaction, so I sucked it up and got excited.  I'll admit, I did a lot of Googling this week. Is it he too young? Is this the 'right' tooth to lose first? How fast will the new tooth come in? What should we expect? Thankfully, I at least thought of visiting the website for his pediatric dentist which answered all of my questions!

This morning before breakfast, Nate walked down the stairs (of course wiggling the tooth) when it came out. Such a happy and proud little guy!


"Mom, it didn't even bleed! It just fell out of my mouth!"


Surprisingly, Nate knew all about the tooth fairy ... even though we haven't had that talk yet. I guess word travels quickly at school! Too bad the tooth fairy knowledge didn't cover pricing because my kid told me that he wanted his fairy to bring $100. Fat chance, kiddo. To his credit, Nate did ask to brush the tooth one last time before handing it over to his fairy. Nathan even had all sorts of mischief planned to catch the Tooth Fairy in the act!


Once he finally fell asleep, I started thinking of how I could have a way to keep track of this new part of life because I must write down ALL of the things! I found this amazing, free printable online that was perfect! Not only could I write down all of the specifics, but also a note from his fairy. Nate always asks me if his teeth are 'shiny' once he's done brushing so that comment from her was especially well received.

Also, when did the tooth fair acquire a first name? Growing it was always "the tooth fairy" but apparently parents name theirs now. I agonized over names for an embarrassing amount of time before he shot out 'Dorothy' in about two seconds. Dorothy it is! Nate found some money under his pillow and the certificate on the night stand.

Hope he understands that the $5 is essentially a 'signing bonus' and that it's $1 from here on out! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment